Monday, April 13, 2009

Bo Joins the First Family

Like many other animal-welfare advocates, sure, I'm disappointed that the Obamas didn't adopt a shelter dog. I was already composing pithy ad campaigns in my head: "There's a shelter dog in the White House. Why not yours?"

But at the same time I have to admit, I'm kind of o.k. with First Dog Bo.

The way I see it, once you take inhumane breeders out of the equation, the most important thing to me is not where a person obtains a dog, but that they select a dog wisely so as to minimize the risk that the dog will ever be homeless or cross the threshold of an animal shelter.


I believe there is a such a thing as a responsible breeder. I own two purebred dogs (both formerly homeless) and their breeding is part of what I love about them. They are uniquely athletic, intense, and talented at what they were bred to do. I would not for anything wish for the extinction of these breeds. I am not alone. I know a number of people who have given many years of their lives to dog rescue and advocate for shelter dogs with great passion. Yet they also have a special fondness for a particular breed of dog . . . one that speaks to their soul, or touches their heart, in a way that no other dog does.

The Obamas were looking for a reliable family dog that produces minimal dander. They did some homework and determined that a Portuguese Water Dog would be a good fit. Bo was a PWD in need of a new home because things weren't going well between him and another dog in residence. The Kennedys had purchased a PWD from the same litter and had a relationship with Bo’s breeder (reportedly, Martha Stern, of Texas). The Obamas met the dog, and all went well.

Obviously, the Obamas could have adopted a PWD from a shelter or breed rescue group. Wayne Pacelle, HSUS President, has been quoted as saying that HSUS provided the Obamas with a variety of adoption options.

On the other hand, the Kennedys offered the Obamas a dog whose history was known. Yes, rescue dogs can be great dogs with confidence and a rock-solid temperament. But the truth is, you can’t know all there is to know about a rescue dog until months, or even years (in the case of some genetic issues) down the road.

The First Family needs a dog that is more “bomb-proof” than most. They need a dog that harbors no demons. Bo will have to play well with children, members of the press corps, and heads of state. I realize there are no guarantees with any dog, from anywhere. But it would be dishonest for me to deny the fact that obtaining a dog whose genetics and early history are known lessens the risk that a problem of health or behavior will later arise without warning. Note I said, “lessens” the risk, not “eliminates.”

Dog lovers and animal welfare advocates ought to focus on what the Obamas did right. They delayed getting a dog until a major life transition was completed. They did their homework. They considered Malia’s allergies and all that would be required of this dog before they obtained him. They welcomed a displaced dog into their lives at 6 months of age, when they could have purchased a PWD as an 8-week old pup. It seems to me they did a lot of things right in selecting Bo.

I’ll close with two final points. First, the suggestion that the Obamas should now adopt a second dog from a shelter to make good on their promise to do so is ridiculous. The desire to satisfy ones critics is a poor reason for obtaining a pet. Second, this would have been a different essay entirely had the Obamas obtained their dog from a pet store or any other mass-breeding commercial enterprise.

2 comments:

  1. Tief, thank you for these sane words. I found Wayne Pacelle's comments to be rather disingenuous to say the least. Yes, the first family did a lot of things "right" and should be applauded for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have mentioned that Bo is already neutered, as well. I still have not verified that fact, but I did read it on someone else's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Fern 9/18/09 - Day After Rescue

Fern 9/21/09 - Four Days After Rescue